Neil Hannon, one of the country’s foremost songwriters, releases a wonderful new Divine Comedy album ‘Office Politics’ June 7th. It’s the follow-up to the acclaimed top ten 2016 album ‘Foreverland’.
“Office Politics” is a 16 track tour de force full of inventive, timeless music peopled with a typically irreverent cast of characters. “It has synthesizers. And songs about synthesizers,” Neil says. “But don’t panic. It also has guitars, orchestras, accordions, and songs about love and greed.”
The Divine Comedy will play the following UK headline tour dates. Tickets on sale from 9.00am on Friday 12th April at www.thedivinecomedy.com
October 2019 dates
Sun 6th Dublin, Bord Gais Energy Theatre
Mon 7th Belfast, Ulster Hall
Tue 8th Cork, Opera House
Thu 10th Glasgow, Old Fruitmarket
Fri 11th Birmingham, O2 Institute
Sat 12th Oxford, O2 Academy 1
Mon 14th Bristol, O2 AcademyTue 15th Leeds, Metropolitan University (Leeds Beckett University)
Wed 16th Brighton, Dome
Thu 17th London, Eventim Apollo
Fri 18th Manchester, Albert Hall
The album was written, produced and arranged by Hannon, and recorded and mixed in Ireland and London by Ber Quinn and Guy Massey. Additional orchestral work was captured by Jake Jackson at Air Studios, and the LP was wrapped up and mastered at the legendary Abbey Road Studios. Additional guest & backing vocals come in the form of Chris Difford, Cathy Davey, Thomas Walsh & Pete Ruotolo.
Not your ordinary 9 to 5 existence, ‘Office Politics’ central characters are the machines. Or ‘Infernal Machines’ as one track rages. “I do try to make normal records,” Neil says with a smile. ”But it always seems to wander off into odd territories.”
And for that we should be thankful.
‘Office Politics’ Tracklisting:
2. Office Politics
3. Norman And Norma
4. Absolutely Obsolete
5. Infernal Machines
6. You’ll Never Work In This Town Again
7. Psychological Evaluation
8. The Synthesiser Service Centre Super Summer Sale
9. The Life and Soul Of The Party
10. A Feather In Your Cap
11. I’m A Stranger Here
12. Dark Days Are Here Again
13. Philip And Steve’s Furniture Removal Company
14. ‘Opportunity’ Knox
15. After The Lord Mayor’s Show
16. When The Working Day Is Done
Physical & Digital Release Format Info:
- 16 track ‘Office Politics’ album on 2 x heavyweight 180g vinyl in gatefold packaging
- Limited Edition Coloured Vinyl LP. 16 track album on 2 x heavyweight 180g coloured vinyl in gatefold packaging
- Standard CD. 16 track ‘Office Politics’ album on 1 CD in gatefold packaging with 12 page booklet containing lyrics and credits.
- Limited Edition Deluxe CD. As per standard CD, with a second CD – ‘Swallows and Amazons – The Original Piano Demos.’ This 15 track album consists of Neil Hannon’s original demos for the stage musical adaptation of ‘Swallows and Amazons.’ The songs from the show have never before been released.
- Digital. 16 track ‘Office Politics’ album as per Standard CD
- Deluxe Digital. As per Deluxe CD – 1st Volume is the 16 track ‘Office Politics’ album, 2nd Volume is the 15 track ‘Swallows and Amazons – The Original Piano Demos’.